Keeping Pets Safe Outdoors
- Pets should never ever be left in a car alone. Just do not do it. Please.
- Clean, fresh water should always be accessible. Warmer temperatures cause water to evaporate more quickly, so check their water bowl more often.
- If outside, pets need to have access to shade. Remember, just because a specific location is shady at 11 a.m., it does not mean it will be shady at 1 p.m.!
- Protect your pets against fleas, ticks, mosquitos, and other pests.
Keeping Pets Safe Indoors
- Again, ensure that clean, fresh, water should always be accessible.
- If not air conditioned, homes should use fans and opened windows for circulation.
- Open windows and doors should have screens to keep your pet from getting out without your knowledge. Strictly indoor kitties may be drawn to the breeze, but would not know how to survive on the street, so be extra vigilant with them.
Summer Safety for Cats
- Know where your cat is before shutting doors to sheds, garages, car doors, etc. You would not want them to be trapped somewhere hot!
- When possible, keep your kitty indoors during the hottest part of the day (11am-3pm). This helps to ensure that they will not get caught somewhere similar where you are not there to watch out for them.
Summer Safety for Dogs
- Walk and exercise dogs in the morning and evening to avoid the full heat of the sun.
- Check pavement with the back of your hand to determine if it’s too hot for dog paws. Burns hurt!
- Carry extra water for long walks and/or particularly hot days.
- Know the signs of when your dog is too hot and is in distress. Act quickly and take appropriate action.
Before you go…Want to capture all the summer time fun with your pup and kitty? Sign up here for the Tips for Taking Drool-Worthy Pictures of Your Pet With Your Phone – a free pdf showing how to work with your phone to get great imagery. Have fun out there!
Want to start taking better pictures with your camera phone? Subscribe To The Posh Pets® Post!
Enter your e-mail below to receive the Posh Pets® Post containing news, updates and promotions. We promise to not share your e-mail with anyone and you can withdraw your consent at any time.